The top three countries on the World Happiness Index are Finland, Denmark, and Iceland. Have you ever wondered why these three Nordic countries always rank at the top of the happiness index year after year? When we talk about happiness, the Scandinavians seem to radiate joy and contentment like they’ve discovered the secrets of happiness – the fountain of joy if you will, but why? What’s the secret that Nordic countries know?
When I imagine retiring, I picture living in a small town in a cozy cottage where I can work in my backyard garden, take nature walks, and live a balanced life. Sounds perfect, doesn’t it?
More often than not, the image of a countryside cottage resides as a fantasy within the dreams of many. But for Scandinavians, it’s a reality, and today, we’re giving you a glimpse into their secrets of a happy life that you too can add to your daily routine to live a magically happy life.
Get ready to trade stress for peace and negative thoughts for happiness as we learn the art of happy living the Scandinavian way!
The 7 Scandinavian Secrets of Happiness
1. Hygge – Embrace Coziness
The first secret of happiness that Nordic countries have embraced is the warmth of coziness, a little thing the Danes call “Hygge”. It’s those little moments when you curl up with a good book, sip a cup of warm tea, or share laughter with your dear ones.
Incorporating Hygge into your life can be very simple. All you need to do is create a cozy nook at home, indulge in simple pleasures, and build genuine connections.
2. Friluftsliv – Outdoor Living
The Scandinavians have an intense love for nature, and it’s called “Friluftsliv.” I know it’s difficult to pronounce so here’s a mini-guide for you – Free-Loofs-Leaf.
With this little wellness technique, you step into the great outdoors, breathe in the fresh air, and let nature be your therapy. How? Well, take a stroll in the park, have a picnic, or simply appreciate the beauty around you.
3. Lagom – The Art of Balance
Swedes swear by “Lagom,” the art of balanced living. It’s not too little, not too much, but just right. You can also embrace the art of balance by finding an equilibrium in your life by decluttering, minimizing, and focusing on things that truly matter to you.
Lagom encourages a mindful approach to life that ensures you’re neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. Sounds delightful when we’re all living in hustle culture, right?
4. Fika – Mindful Coffee Breaks
Another secret of happiness that comes from the Swedes is “Fika”. The Swedes seem to have mastered taking a mindful break. It’s not just about coffee either. it’s about pausing, connecting with others, and enjoying the moment. To bring Fika into your day can be simple. Just take intentional breaks, savor your favorite beverage – coffee, tea, or water – and encourage meaningful conversations.
5. Sisu – Inner Strength
This secret of happy living comes from the Finns. People in Finland possess an extraordinary trait called “Sisu,” a unique form of resilience and determination. The Finns know how to fearlessly face challenges head-on, embrace a positive mindset in the face of adversity, and persevere through whatever challenges life throws at them.
Sisu teaches us that even during the harshest winters, there’s always the inner fire – your resilience – that will keep fueling you and encourage you to keep going.
6. Samfundssind – Sense of Community
The one thing that these Nordic countries seem to thrive on is their sense of community and togetherness. This is what the Danes live by – “Samfundssind,” a deep sense of community and social responsibility.
When you volunteer, support local initiatives, and foster a sense of belonging, you increase your contentment levels from within. This secret of happiness teaches us that happiness can be found in the shared experiences and connections we create with others, not alone.
7. Döstädning – Death Cleaning
In Swedish, “Döstädning” pronounced dur-sted-ning means death cleaning, a reminder to declutter your life and leave a positive legacy behind. The Death Cleaning wellness technique serves as a reminder to tidy up and let go of unnecessary possessions or to minimize the clutter in your life. This practice teaches us that joy is not in material possessions, but in what truly brings you joy and happiness.
What’s the Way to These Secrets?
So, now that you know why are Nordic countries so happy, let’s take a look at how you can incorporate their secrets into your daily life;
1. Create a cozy space at home by adding soft blankets and warm lighting. You can also engage in activities that bring comfort and joy such as hosting game nights with your loved ones, reading a book, cuddling under a blanket, etc.
2. Embrace nature living into your routine by taking regular nature walks, having outdoor picnics, or taking up gardening for a refreshing and natural experience.
3. Simplify your day-to-day routine by decluttering your space and focusing on finding the right balance in every aspect of your life including social life, home life, and work life.
4. Take regular work breaks to enjoy your favorite beverage with either your loved ones or coworkers. You can use this break time to connect with others, create meaningful relationships, or just focus on being mindful on your own.
5. Break down your big goals and challenges into smaller and manageable ones. You can also learn to take a positive approach to life’s challenges and tap into your inner resilience to persevere in adversities.
6. Join your community and give back through acts such as volunteering, attending local events, or hosting events that help you know your neighbors and community members a little better. This act can foster the feeling of belonging and togetherness to improve your well-being.
7. Declutter your material possessions by either donating them to charities in need or discarding the things that no longer serve a purpose. This approach to simplifying and minimizing your life and living can help you get clarity and feel light in your mind and surroundings.
As you learn the secrets of happiness from the Scandinavians, don’t forget to be simple, create meaningful connections, and maintain a balance that defines the Nordic way of happy living.
Whether it’s the comfort of Hygge or the inner strength of Sisu, these 7 secrets of happiness are there to remind you that happiness isn’t a destination but a beautiful journey of little moments.
So, let’s raise a toast to a life filled with happiness, contentment, and peace! Share these secrets of happiness with your loved ones and let me know how they worked for you in the comments below.
The post Why Are Nordic Countries So Happy? These 7 Secrets of Happiness Might Have Answers! appeared first on Calm Sage – Your Guide to Mental and Emotional Well-being.